Pages

Monday, April 21, 2014

a fun day at the Maker Faire

my final visit to the Science Museum was the Makers Fair – rooms full of people who make things and want you to have a go too – how could I resist?

The first room I walked into had a group of ladies eager to help us use enamel to decorate a piece of copper for a broach or pendant.  I needed no prodding to take a seat and start choosing my 2 colours of enamel and a metal stencil to use to create the patter.  shake on the background, fire, position the stencil, shake on the 2nd colour, fire, let cool and I had a lovely pendant to wear.  These ladies were the first of several during the day who said ‘you do crafty things don’t you?’

make-2

then into the big room full of crafting – people planning wood, making rag rugs, spinning strips of newspaper into ‘yarn’.  I was tempted by a table with piles of felt and surrounded by people sewing – wandered over and the lady asked me if I wanted to make a parasite – how could I resist – I consider Ebola but settled for malaria.  These ladies are developing educational materials for education on parasites which led to making parasites from felt and they told me they are developing crochet patterns for leaches, tics and mosquitoes too !!

make-4

The next room was full of computery makes – flashing lights, underwater vehicles, movement turned into light and noise, 3D printers.  I enjoyed playing with the effect of a big time delay video feed on the wall – a few seconds after you move it plays 2 versions of your movement with a few seconds between and in different shades of grey.  So I was able to take a photo of me taking a photo

make-5

next was a delightful group of Chinese origin ladies who were teaching traditional flat knot to make a dragonfly – I was pleased to see a group of young men at the table enjoying learning this craft alongside all young girls and women

make-3

My final make was with the re-cycle, repair, up-cycle group who had a fascinating stall and were showing us how to make an accordion book from re-cycled paper.  I included the printed sheet with my ticket for the event as one of my pages – seemed appropriate.

make-1

I thoroughly enjoyed all the making and talking to people who are excited to make things.  I’ve collected several fliers and cards to follow up on projects and workshops.  5 hours satisfyingly spent.

Maker Faires are a global thing – if you see one advertised near you I’d highly recommend it

5 comments:

Sian said...

This sounds fantastic! making malaria would have tempted me too

Karen said...

Absolutely fascinating!

Prairie Jill said...

Oh, what a fun day! I would love to do something like that.

Anonymous said...

You always find the most fascinating places to go to. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your day at it.

Jimjams said...

This looks absolutely fascinating and great, great fun!