Pages

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

zoom in on the seasonal

my photos over the past few days (for this meme and more generally) have been seasonal rather than festive, recording first spotting of some of the birds that come to the river over winter, a moon seen clearly at 7.50am and bare trees.


I enjoy watching the seasonal cycle of nature - my garden has signs of crocus and snowdrop leaves with a promise of blooms in January.  But when I was looking over my garden for signs of new growth I noticed that one of the summer flowers was blooming and there was a bud too - it is unusually mild at the moment but I'm sure that is unseasonal blooming


I suspect this interest in the seasonal is related to winter solstice this week and being glad that the daylight will be getting longer - I looked up the sunrise and sunset times and discovered that we gained 8 seconds today and the increase is gradual to start but by summer solstice we will have 10 more hours of daylight than we do now!

Thinking ahead to the pair meme next year (I discussed it here if you missed it) and one of the ideas of  'then and now' I've been making a list of 6 or so photos to take in my garden and on my walk soon because I know they will look very different in spring or summer  and that will make a nice pairing then if I do my preparation now.

Next Wednesday is the last day of 2014 so I realise some of you will link your first pair for 2015 and some will be posting your last zoom in zoom out for 2014 - all fine with me.

I know that blog reading patterns change over the festive season so to cover all bases please choose whichever is applicable - have a great Christmas / hope you are having a great Christmas / trust you had a great Christmas


9 comments:

Maggie said...

Happy Christmas to you Helena. The summer flowers still in bloom is happening in our garden too. I wonder how it will effect them for next summer?

Anonymous said...

pretty flower.....
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Karen said...

Merry Christmas! Thanks for hosting this lovely meme all year. I've so enjoyed it. I would love to find a flower blooming in my garden right now.

Prairie Jill said...

Oh, how wonderful to have flowers blooming at this time of year!
Merry Christmas to you, too!

Maria Ontiveros said...

A great pair with a perfect border.
Happy Christmas Eve!
Rinds

Sian said...

Happy Sunday after Christmas! Hope you had a lovely few days

alexa said...

Gosh, that seems amazing to have summer blooms - anything in our garden is buried under six inches of snow! Your new meme sounds lovely ...

Sandie said...

I am catching up on posts as we were struck with a virus before Christmas and our energy has been low and lacking. I love their pairing and have also noticed how many flowers are still in bloom this time of year. It's a great idea to plan ahead for photos so that you can see the change over the seasons - I have started something similar. I have started to walk every day and thought it would be good to take a photo from the same spot so that I can see the change over time. I just need to keep the routine going!!
Looking forward to taking more of a participating role this year - and I love that you calculated how many more sun light hours we can look forward to. 10?! Wow!! I love long summer days....

Anonymous said...

What a nice surprise seeing that summer bloom!