Pages

Monday, January 11, 2016

Monday Memorandum : 2 firsts for the year and metaphor

Waving to Sian and all the Monday people.  Sian has suggested that this year we share something new we did or learnt and she deployed the ‘memorandum’ word.  I’m old enough to remember using a memo pad at work for sending notes that we would now send as an email – they were orange for some reason.  When I did typing classes as school the memo format was one of the key ones we had to learn – all those :’s .  So of course I take any mention of a memorandum seriously.
So – this weekend I bought my first daffodils for the year – so cheery on a grey day

and on Saturday I spied my first snow of the year – non fell here but I saw cars with snow on their roof and I could see some white on the hills (all gone by Sunday)


I also learnt something new – an interesting metaphor description of a common component of dyslexia and dyspraxia: like trying to run Photoshop on an old computer with little RAM, resulting in long pauses and frozen actions.  The suggestion is that part of dyslexia and dyspraxia is an in-balance between intellectual perception and comprehension on one side and immediate working memory and processing speed on the other.
Have a great week.

11 comments:

Jane said...

love the flowers to brighten up a miseable day, have a good week x

alexa said...

Now that's an interesting lens through which to look! Fresh yellow against the grey really lifts the spirits.

debs14 said...

Daffodils are such cheery flowers aren't they? Spring must be on its way.
What a clever concept about dyspraxia, such a good comparison.

Maggie said...

I hope your daffodils last better than the bunch lasts better that the ones I bought. They sadly died before they had opened properly. That's an interesting way to describe dyslexia. I know from my daughter that the transfer and processing of information can be unpredictable!

Cheri said...

The metaphor works for inattentive type A.D.D. as well. My daughter's mental processing speed is super slow without meds. She can read the words just fine, but can't explain what she just read at all.

Sian said...

Yes. A boy I know, with as fine a mind as you'd meet anywhere, finds it impossible to look up a number in the phone book. It's fascinating.

Memos! That reminds me of internal mail envelopes. I'm old enough to remember those too.

Have a good week Helena

Melissa said...

I remember memo pads, too, but it seems the ones here were always green. Lovely flowers and interesting learning!

Patio Postcards said...

Glorious Daffodils - I cannot wait to see them in the local stores to get a bunch or two. Snow is some what glorious when you see it as you do, not locally, but on cars travelling ... I spent hours as a child being test for dyslexia, turns out I just needed glasses. I think your description is a gentler way of looking at it. A wave & a wish for a happy week ahead.

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

I do love a bunch of cheery yellow daffs on my kitchen windowsill. That's a very perceptive metaphor. My son is dyspraxic.

Alison said...

Loving the daffs...am thinking about 'snap'! Xx

Maria Ontiveros said...

I just bought my sister some tulips! I love spring flowers.
Rinda